Year 6 Curriculum Activity H:
What makes you ill?
Start with the Shared Curriculum document, (Shared Curriculum Document Year 6) which outlines the topics studied in the curriculum in in your Year Group both in Malawi and the UK around the topics of 'Health and Sanitation'. These topics are being studied as part of your normal activities. We want to bring your lesson alive, as you share your findings with Malawi.
Activity H - Health and Sanitation
- Compare the common illnesses in Malawi and the UK. Why are there differences?
There are numerous activities listed below to help you create a fun and informative lesson about Health and Sanitation. There are also some excellent resources, in the “Useful links” and “Downloads” sections.
Please produce a report to share with other schools about your lesson and what you discovered - click case study pinboard at the bottom of the page....Thank you.
- Separate the class into three groups and do the 20 questions multiple choice quiz - (see Starfishers-Useful downloads “20 questions about health in Malawi" and "20 questions Malawi fact sheet". *If this is in Malawi do the "20 questions from the UK". Use the notes to expand the learning.
- Causes of death around the World – see useful links. Compare the countries and the reasons for death and current life expectancy.
- Starfish TV - See "Malaria in Malawi." Discuss what you see and treatment.
- Share a healthy living plan with your link school: (a) What would you include in this? (b) Upload your findings onto the Case study pin board (see below) (c) Share your findings with your link school.
Optional - Do a survey amongst the school of absenteeism in the last 12 months. List the common reasons. Compare these to the link school.
Optional - Visit a local health centre/interview a Dr and find out about treatment for common sicknesses in the community.
Optional – View the other links and videos.
Upload your findings on the Case Study Pinboard - Using the Eco Study Template Schools in Malawi will be doing the same project and will upload their information to share with you.
Health and Sanitation - Useful Links
Malawi major infectious diseases - Thesaurus of diseases in Malawi.
Poverty and Healthcare in Malawi- Explains the main issues of poverty.
Water Aid Malawi - The impact of water shortages on health.
Images of water in Malawi- Good photos for wall presentation.
Water, sanitation and hygiene promotion fromUNICEF- Short report of situation in Malawi.
Starfishers - Useful Downloads
20 questions about health in Malawi- A multi choice quiz discovering healthcare in Malawi.
20 questions Malawi Fact sheet- An extension on the teaching about the 20 questions.
20 questions from the UK - A game to play in Malawi with multiple choice.
Walk to School flyer - Encourage children in the UK to walk to school rather than go by car.
Healthy heart exercise plan - Ways to keep fit.
Starfish TV - Useful Internet Videos
- Malawi hygiene hand-wash - (2:41) Children's Malawi cartoon about washing hands.
- Malawi healthcare - MACOBO - (7:22) Helping people in the village.
- Improving healthcare in Malawi - (4:10) Reducing infant mortality & healthcare.
- Malaria in Malawi - (above - 2:13) Malaria and it's treatment.
- Malawi dirty water: Repairing wells - (2:58) Impact of dirty water on health & how some young people choose to do something about it.
Shared Work and Case Studies
Year 6 -AN APPLE A DAY - Other Ideas to share
This is your website! It is vital that you share your experience and provide us with news, pictures, case studies, videos, ideas, storybooks or anything related to your project. The only way that we are going to keep the site lively and provocative is to see it grow year on year and many of the projects are based upon observing change over the last 12 months. Please make sure that we see your best work so that it can represent your school on this site.