Year 1&2 Curriculum Activity B:
Discuss animals around the world and their environments.
Start with the Shared Curriculum document, (Shared Curriculum Document Year 1 & 2) which outlines the topics studied in the curriculum in in your Year Group both in Malawi and the UK around the topics of 'Domestic and wild animals and their environments. These topics are being studied as part of your normal activities. We want to bring your lesson alive, as you share your findings with Malawi.
Activity B - Animals and their environments
- Learn about the environment of different animals around the world.
- Incorporate Starfishers 'Storytelling'options into lesson plans.
Please Click HERE to download an excellent teaching resource published by the Lilongwe Wildlife Trust as part of their Eco Schools Malawi programme to discover more about wildlife conservation and welfare in Malawi.
There are numerous activities listed below to help you create a fun and informative lessons learning about animals around the world.
Once you've worked out what's best for your class please make sure you complete a Case Study of your findings and send it to us via the pinboard to help us improve our service to you and the children.
- Group discussion: Discuss different habitats in which animals live around the world e.g. hot countries, cold countries (Arctic), jungle, savannah.
- Teacher to ask learners class to imagine what it would be like for them to live in the Arctic (download here). How they would feel if they were a polar bear in Malawi? Do they think they would survive? Why do they think this?
- Discuss the key differences between domestic and wild animals around the world. Pictures are available to download here for each group (repeated in Activity A).
Animals and their environments - Useful Links
- Storytelling: Chose from over 30 Malawian children's stories. Many of which incorporate the use of domestic and wild animals to a deliver a message in a fun and creative way.
- Download pictures of domestic and wild animals.
- Download pictures of wildlife in Malawi.
Starfish TV - Useful Internet Videos
BBC Learning: The Polar Bear family and me.
Miki and Luca playing - (1:27) Lyra assesses when her cubs will be strong enough to leave, whilst they play.
Shared Work & Case Studies
Year 1 & 2 Activity A&B:
This is your website! It is vital that you share your experience and provide us with news, pictures, case studies, videos, ideas, storybooks or anything related to your project. The only way that we are going to keep the site lively and provocative is to see it grow year on year and many of the projects are based upon observing change over the last 12 months. Please make sure that we see your best work so that it can represent your school on this site.